Monday, May 24, 2010

And so the Summer goes.....

The community college where I teach celebrated graduation on May 14th--and it is a celebration.  I'm so proud of my students and what they've achieved because the majority of them are handling high-hour work loads, busy families, and full-time classes.  I know that feeling, having returned to college after my youngest entered elementary school, and the blessed awareness that one part of the educational journey has been successfully completed. 

Our college president, a Scotsman by heritage, instituted an inspiring "tradition" for faculty and students as we enter the graduation hall--he has the playing of the pipes (bagpipes) and drums lead us in for this time. Just imagine--a fine May evening, back-dropped with beautiful mountains highlighting the twilight, a river just over the field, and the lovely sense of coming summer in the air.  Mix in excited family members, beaming students, and smiling faculty--and down the path comes the Virginia Highlands Pipes and Drums, filling the air with music that feeds the soul, especially if one's ancestors came to these blue hills from Scottish shores.  It is a marvelous evening. 

So, I should have left the evening exhilarated....and for the most part I did.  But it has taken a week of rest to recoup from the semester and the demands thereof.  Like so many community colleges around our state and nation, we had a hefty enrollment increase coupled with a lack of funds to meet the demand.  Translation:  I faced overloaded classes that revolved into, at least for this English/Literature professor, many late hours of grading essays.  Yeah....yeah....I know the solution could be to assign less writing, but that doesn't help the student develop a clear analysis process.....and when my students move on to that 4-year campus, I want them to be ready.  That's my job.  

But rest and renewal did come after graduation and with it the vision of all the things I need to do here at home.  It's the positive after-effect of knowing that the light I hoped was at the end of the tunnel actually was at the end of the tunnel.  My garden shows good evidence, but don't look anywhere else.  The house is still waiting.  I've learned after many years, those needs won't go anywhere--they will wait.

Even so, I do appreciate the energy I've regained, and it turned up in a great place the other night--Supper!  Having also been raised with a healthy dose of "make-do" perspective, I was viewing the remains in our frig and came upon the leftover cheese, some wonderfully tasty sausages (made from chicken, mind you), and on the counter, some bright red plum tomatoes.  I've always had a special fascination with bread as well, and the possibility of a hot, juicy dish swirled in my mind--a cross between bruschetta and focaccia with all the trimmings.  It worked, too---delicious!  Leftovers are looking good as well.....

I also turned an eye to some much needed organization---one attempt that was noted here some months ago--and I rallied my spirits to tackle that stack of printed knitting patterns that grows persistently as I explore more temptations.  Some dent was made in the stack's size as I sorted these gems into brightly marked binders--they look so nice with their printed covers.  In the effort I was reminded of the sweaters and an enticing shawl I want to make for myself, but the bear I'm knitting still needs a head--and my return to it will be the third time I've tried to "get it right."  How can one bear be such a challenge???  Has anyone else had such problems with a knitted toy??

Alongside this little fellow is another gift, in Carolina Blue, that I can't show until after a shower that's coming later this summer.....and then September will be here, along with the bear's new holder--a baby boy we cannot hardly wait to see.

Yep--it's amazing what a few days of consistent sleep and good food will do for mind, body, and soul.  I'm going to go find some bagpipe music to relish, look out at my backyard filling out toward summer, and count a few blessings.....what a gift is this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment