Saturday, February 18, 2012

Shameless.....Bring on the Snow.....Pleeeeassseee!


When it comes to snow days, I can be a shameless woman.  I almost wrote "huzzie" instead of "woman" but that would be a bit of overkill...maybe.  It's past the middle of February and we have yet to have the first bit of real snowfall.  Some time back, there was a "skiff"--a tantalizing little blow through that barely topped the grass--green grass that is--that was pushing up all around the yard.   Even today, as I leaped at the weather report, beautiful Lenten Roses are blooming. 

They are gorgeous, but here's the problem:  It's February--not Lent yet--and the temperatures here have been far too warm.  As sweet as the blossoms are, I am really hoping they see flakes tonight and tomorrow.....nice big, white snowflakes that will cover the ground and give me even just one snowday from school.  See....I said I was shameless.  There isn't any student who prays for snow more than I do.

I know as well that this stand of Lenten Roses will bounce back and be just fine with the quick snow we're supposed to have starting in the wee hours tomorrow and continuing through the wee time on Monday.  Bring it on......Bring. It. On!

You see, snowdays give open time to catch up, enjoy an extra cup of coffee or some hot cocoa, stay in one's jammies longer....and longer still, and just have a day to examine and spend outside of the usual schedule.  It's not necessarily free time--but it seems that way, even if I'm working on things at home for school and students.  And all the while I can put something good in the oven, like a pound cake or some good bread, smell up the house with those great aromas, and "putz" around a bit doing first one odd job and then another. 

Maybe it's the unrushedness of the day that makes me so desirous of one or (and most likely) it's the time to think about previous snowdays, when my girls were home and we would glory in all having the day to "veg-out," watch our "Designing Women" tapes--remember that TV sitcom??--and laugh at those crazy Southern, spit-fire women.   What's not to admire?

So bring it on, weather forecaster, and let the heavens open with the glorious white stuff we've missed so much this winter.  I envy Norway and like places in the winter--what a life!

2 comments:

  1. We got what we wished for and I am not even using the "be careful what you wish for" comment!!!! I love it and it is gorgeous and NO STATS tomorrow!! Ah! Sweet reprieve!! Enjoy your PJs and knitting!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it gorgeous!! I've enjoyed the quiet morning, the extra cup of coffee, and now on to (cake) papers :) Enjoy, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete