Saturday, February 16, 2013

Focus, learn, reknit.....and refuel!

I tell my students frequently, "Your focus is key--if you're not centered on the content, you'll be wandering around the edges and wasting time."  Well, I say to self, listen up!  While I'm loving the yarn and the pattern in the knit-along (by the way, first one other than Ravelry's Socks 2012 that I've participated in!) from Celtic CastOn, I should be adhering to my own advice and remember that I can't talk, wander around with "The Big Bang Theory," AND keep track of how many stitches I need to knit on what row between the cable-front and cable-back portions.  Yeah.  I should stay focused.

So, after finally frogging back to the cuff and starting the pattern over again last night, I'm making progress.  Look at those pretty stripes running along through the cable pattern!  Woohoo!

I also found out that instead of knitting the cable stitch off of the cable needle, it's easier with this one stitch cable to put the stitch on the cable needle, knit the next stitch, and then return the cable stitch to the needle and knit it from there.  Of course, that's probably something more experienced knitters already know, but I'm learning!  That shift certainly took care of much of the trouble of balancing three needles while I knitted between them!


All that work meant the need for some good soup, especially in trying to chase away the chill from outside, so I took a break from the needles and stirred up some bodacious potato-leek soup.  Really, it was a good excuse to use my beautiful Christmas present--a Biltmore "belly" soup pot.  The pic doesn't do the pot justice, but it's a dream to use!  What you don't see are the dumplings that finished out the soup--and after a bowl of it for supper, I was refueled and ready to knit again.  Who knows--I may just finish these socks in the KAL timeframe.  They'll be good ones for spring weather! 


No comments:

Post a Comment