Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And the snow goes on....and on...

I had to laugh several times this past Sunday on a comment a new couple in our church made at the end of services.  Having moved to the Alleghany Highlands last July from the sunny land of Arizona, they told everyone they almost considered moving back after this latest snow storm blanketed the area.  You have to understand--this kind of "pile--up" only happens here about every 10 years or so....at least that's been the pattern for a few decades.  But with a steady 20 inches still hanging around, one has to wonder!  The scene has changed just a little, with our home now sporting some pretty impressive icicles.  The grey sky and chilly temps remain obvious reminders that things may be changing but not quickly.

This forced slow-down has created some definite shifts in life-style.  We've gravitated to soups and hearty chili more so than usual, and it seems I just can't get in a hurry.  I'm having to remind myself that while the snow is still present, the roads are clear and school is on!  But that evidence of change is present in the halls at my college as well.  This morning as I contemplated the day's events in American Literature, one student stopped by just to bring me a cupcake, and she shared that she had made them for no particular reason--just seemed like a good idea.  Of course, I was tickled that she came to my office to share, and the sweet little gift made me smile the rest of the day--even after I gobbled it down!

I've also not been able to shake the urge to pick up my knitting needles for a few minutes...at anytime during the day and have even considered sneaking them into my work bag......oh me!  But the persistence to knit more has led me to start another small project--something I swore in January I would not do---"Finish what you start first" was the resolution that is now long gone.  But with the news of a second grandbaby reaching our ears a few days ago, what can I say??  I reached for an adorable little toy pattern, and this one will be my first attempt at knitting one.  My daughter--the soon to be mom--had picked out this little fellow in a knitting shop in Kill Devil Hills, NC, called The Knitting Addiction.  "Bobbi Bear" from Blue Sky definitely tugs at the heart with his simple form--and I've had lots of good experience in felting with Patton's Classic Wool, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Besides, it was the closest in suitable color and texture in the store I had stopped in to get some yarn :)
The pattern calls for #9 double-pointed needles, but all I had was #9 16in. circular and I'm giving it a go.....we'll see...looks and feels fine right now!  I'm thinking I may have to incorporate a #9 dbl-pt when I get to the little legs....maybe.  It's an adventure for sure because my experience with dbl-pts is limited, and I would love some suggestions for using them...although I already know that practice does, in this case, bring a bit more perfection.

So that's my temptation....a tiny little bear in soft wool!  I'm a pushover--but don't tell my students!

One other quick note--I'm a little behind on this great aspect of "sharing" blogs, but I have thoroughly enjoyed several connections I've found....one in particular is a great spot to find wonderful inspiration and just good sharing....if you're interested, check out Implausible Yarn, and she's got a great little give-away going!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Are you making the bear on the front cover? He's sooo cute! I love it, love it, love it! Makes me want to give knitting another go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congratulations on being a grandmother again! That bear will be so very adorable and loved. I can't wait to see your progress!
    Welcome to the blogging sphere and thanks for the shout out on your blog.

    ReplyDelete