Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter wonder......and more snow!

The buzz phrase for the Alleghany Highlands right now is "Here we go again!"  Outside the snow is coming down and showing no signs of halting.  Weathermen on three channels sing the same tune--"Five to eight inches are expected....."  Put that on top of the seventeen inches that waited on the ground and here we are....again.  One brave fellow stated in his report, "There's a chance of it staying with it."  Ya think?????  How long does it take two feet of snow to melt....when the temp isn't predicted to go above thirty for a week????  And just how much room does the water table have down there????  If it takes ten to twelve inches of snow to equal an inch of water.......that's some kind of melt!!




I think about all those plant roots of my perennials and flower bulbs, and the snow really is a gift--not only will the moisture be a benefit for that springtime bloom that seems hard to envision right now, but I know that blanket is also protecting those same plants from bitter cold that could freeze them into oblivion.  Shall I count my blessings?  Yes, I believe so.

The day stretches ahead with so many possibilities.....the ever present grading I have from so hardworking students.....the purse I'm knitting and hoping to finish this week.....the list of "need to do" that remains in the forefront.......and again, I've been given a day to get some of those things completed.  I can't complain--especially with all those great skeins of yarn that also call from the basket with even more suggestions of things I can do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment