Friday, February 5, 2010

Getting started.....

When I look at my interests--writing, quilting, knitting (really fiber arts of any kind), gardening....and on--getting started has never been a problem for me. Getting finished--now there's the hitch! I was not born project-oriented. You can then imagine the state of my sewing room, but I'm getting better I think.

Most of my day is filled with teaching and the resulting pile of grading that comes with helping college students define their composition skills, their literature awareness, and their art analysis ability. I have a special spot for future teachers--leading me to be their advisor/mentor--and I am constantly amazed and encouraged by both the depth and wealth of their ideas and hopes for their teaching choices and careers. The future is in their good hands!

When I take time for other things, I gravitate toward stitching of some kind unless the weather's beautiful and warm, and then I'm outside enjoying the garden and the mountains right outside my back door. At present that view includes watching the Blizzard of 2010 fall on my Virginia mountain home--we already had 8 inches on the ground, so if I do a small bit of math and look at the predicted 2 to 3 inches per hour for about 10 hours, we're in for the long haul. So be it. The homemade hot cocoa mix is on the counter and ready. I have plenty of work and stitching to do. The winter beauty is wrapping us in that blessed peaceful sound of falling snow. "Blessed" is definitely the key word here.

In the knitting realm, sometime ago I was bitten by the felting (or fulling) bug and after some basic attempts at coasters and small bags, I tried a small purse....and then showed it to my daughters......you know what happened. I finished request #1 a couple of weeks ago and started on request #2........with yarn bought for request #3......and some for the friend that saw it, which is request #4. I think I'll hide my purse!

I did take some time for myself and knitted a hat to wear, which was very good timing as well, considering the two feet-plus snow that is gathering outside. Initially, I feared I had wasted both time and wool, but my husband--smart man that he is--suggested I take the odd-shapen piece that emerged from the washing machine and stretch it over our medium saucepan for a form. It worked!! Perfect fit! He's quite a guy!

Funny how these projects multiply, but then that's part of what I love about stitching, as I know others do as well--giving the result to ones we care about!

Well, I've gotten started with this blog....we'll see where it goes. I have to go hop on those papers to grade....or maybe a bit of knitting.

1 comment:

  1. The projects and requests constantly multiply because you are so good! You "pick-up" felting and after barely any practice you make the cutest purse ever and an awesome hat. What can you expect!?

    I like your blog so far ;) Makes me more jealous of your snow day... days... week...! (Although I shouldn't complain about the beautiful sun over San Francisco right now or else it might run away and rain again)

    ReplyDelete